Friday 8 December 2006

My meeting with Julie Howell

It was my pleasure to meet the accessibility legend Julie Howell last week at her new office in London where she works for Fortune Cookie. I have to say that she looked very comfortable in her surroundings and was a fantastic host.

I'd say that it was definately worth travelling on the train for 3 hours, getting stopped and transferred at Cardiff because one of the doors had jammed, getting thrown out of first class - which was the only place we could find seats, and sitting in someone's piss for the rest of the journey to London (don't ask!), then waiting for 40 minutes at a taxi rank in King's Cross in the freezing rain to take us the rest of the way.

I don't want to sound too much like a country bumpkin, but I don't think I'll ever be able to understand the motivation to commute into the big smoke every day. Well done to all those who manage it.

It was great to finally chat to Julie, we'd only bumped into each other a couple of times the start/end of some accessibility events. Julie is settling into her new role well and teased us (I attended with Cam Nicholl and Paul Bristow from the Shaw Trust) with an announcement that she couldn't say much about. Doh!

Good luck Julie, we look forward to hearing more from you in the new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to meet you too, Grant.

I've just begun blogging on the Headstar E-Access Blog.

Julie x